As my friends and I debated about throwing a white elephant Christmas party and the nixed the idea after last year’s lack luster event, I typed into a webs search engine “new party ideas”. Don’t get me wrong, it was great a fun event but inevitably there’s a giver that leaves with something much less substantial than they came with. You don’t ever want someone to go home disappointed from a party. The top hit on my search was 10 ideas from Marie Claire magazine! Don’t worry, this won’t be a re-hash. I have commentary and a couple of my own ideas too.
1. July at Christmas! Host a beach themed party! – who doesn’t love thinking about summer vacation?
2. Holiday Movie Marathon – great for those cold winter days!
3. Marshmallow Roast – there’s something about a fire!
4. Pet Holiday Party – Umm…this sounds like a great way to turn your house into a zoo unless you can meet at the dog park.
5. Favorite cocktail party – bring your favorite drinks to share!
6. Christmas Carol Karaoke Night – This sounds fun! Too bad I’m not allowed to sing!
7. Gingerbread House Decorating Competition – A family in my neighborhood hosts a decorating party for kids every year. It’s a big hit! She makes all the houses but you could buy them.
8. Christmukkah Party – Combine elements from all the holiday celebrations including Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, to name a few.
9. After Christmas Cast-Off Gift Exchange – Bring everything you didn’t want for Christmas. There could be a prize for worst gift received! But hey, to each his own. One person’s trash is another’s treasure!
10. Appetizers party – The cookie exchange is always daunting for me. Full disclosure, I hosted one a few years back. It was actually a really fun party but when it came around to the next year, I was overwhelmed. Bringing a plate of appetizers to a party, I can handle.
I didn’t realize this but I guess the ugly sweater contest party is a used idea. You wouldn’t know it by how many ugly sweaters I see in the stores. To see Marie Claire’s complete rundown go to http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/g1053/christmas-party-themes/. I’m thinking of hosting something after the New Year when people are less busy. Whatever you’re doing for the holidays, I hope that you can be surrounded by those you love most!
All the best,